Sunday, April 22, 2012

Paper Petals #2

Came home today from the second Paper Petals meet where we exhanged our first set of cards. There are currently six people so I received 5 pretty new designs.


I ended up making my card till the last minute huhu T.T (in between chores here and there!) I wanted to incorporate a technique so I scoured through my books and magazines taking notes... I finally came up with an idea involving acetate (similar to overhead projector sheets) but couldn't get the creative juice to flow -_- So I thought about it over dinner and decided that I would use my idea for a Christmas card :)

***which meant back to the drawing board***


I decided to make something similar to a design that caught my eye before, really liked the pale colour coordination. I cut out the right scraps and things (the blue paper I used had a matching ink, but luckily the pink I had around the house worked together well).


I had a few issues with the layout and how the elements worked together as I made one big change which was the strip down the middle was cut with a border punch so many other elements had to change.


I worked something out (although my "no two cards are the same" policy got in the way) and set to writing out the instructions, despaired when I had to write it out eight times, so typed it up and went to look at the OfficeWorks website about document printing... their website was down... -_-

(An aside, I did go to Office works and I even bought a copy card - free to purchase but have to insert $1 or $2 coin... then couldn't figure out how to print so went to the counter and it's all done from there... goodbye $2 coin...)

Anyway, I'm generally happy with the card and I did write that alternatively it could be made as a gatefold card (i.e. it opens like saloon doors lol), but after making it, I think I should have made the actual card to be a gatefold card because the paper is layered and just looks like it will open lol

Instructions I used for the swap


Stamps

  • Swirl: “Baroque Motifs” (Stampin’ Up)
  • Sentiment: “Baroque Motifs” (Stampin’ Up)
    OR “French Phrases” #45797 (Sullivans)
  • Script: “Secret Bird Society” (kaisercraft clear stamps)
Colours
  • Blue; “Pool Party” (Stampin’ Up)
  • Pink; N/A
Other
  • Pink ribbon; rhinestones (if applicable); white embossing powder; Versamark; border punch (fiskars “spreading water”)
Method
  1. Cut blue cardstock approx. 5cm by 14cm (Or an A4 cut into 8 pieces)
  2. Stamp the script stamp 2/3s of the way down the card
  3. Place pink ribbon on the blue card (in the empty space); jazz it up with knots, bows, rhinestones, layering, criss-cross effects
  4. Cut pink cardstock approx. 10cm by 14cm (Or an A4 cut into 4 pieces)
  5. Use an edge punch on one long edge
  6. Stamp the script stamp 1/3 of the way up the card
  7. Stamp the swirl with Versamark and emboss with white embossing powder
  8. Cut a strip of the blue paper and emboss a sentiment onto the paper
  9. Place the sentiment onto the pink card over the script stamp
  10. Glue the pieces side-by-side onto a folded card
Alternatives
  • Create it as a gatefold card
  • At step 1., trim the card about 2cm shorter and use that piece for the sentiment
  • Switch the colours/layout of the elements
  • Add glitter to the holes (border punch)
I also learnt how to make rosettes and was given a plain tag to decorate, if only I could make something as beautiful as this!



A close-up of some other swaps!



No comments:

Post a Comment