Thursday, September 1, 2011

pop pop pop

So anyway, I haven't posted in so long =( one reason was because I was making cards just for the blog, i.e., I hadn't had anyone in mind when I made the cards, it was a Disney Princess series. There are ten official Disney princesses and although I outlined plans for each one I ended up finalising the designs for 5 cards:
  • Belle (Beauty and the Beast)
  • Snow White (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)
  • Ariel (The Little Mermaid)
  • Mulan (Mulan)
  • Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
but ended up only finishing cards for Belle, Ariel and Snow White. But that can wait till next time!

In other news, during Sydney Design I attended a paper pop-up workshop at the Powerhouse Museum held by Benja Harney who is a Paper Engineer (what a cool job =D) and most recently has created a gorgeous looking pop-up book which was presented to Kylie Minogue. It was a small class with 6 participants and ran for around three hours.

We started off browsing some of the pop-up books he owned and had a chat to him about his projects. He showed us how to make paper cranes and the paper decision makers (which I had done before but he had really pretty paper and I can't resist folding some origami!)

The next step was to try some basic cuts and see how they turned out on the folded card, he had some neon pink (80s style) cardboard he found lying around and that's what we practised on.

This one was actually his, which is why it looks so good!
Great effect from the lights!
One of the samples I made with the paper crane
He then asked us to create something of our own with some coloured paper, such as a cityscape or something. I decided to try something new and my pop-up actually runs sideways with an under-the-sea theme (not, this isn't my Ariel card -_-).


We also made a doggy face and this uber cool pop-up house which we decorated with some nice paper that had holes punched into it (fitting in with this year's lace theme).


I also recommend the Love Lace exhibiton held at the Powerhouse till April next year.






And if it's still online, there is some information on the workshop I attended. There are also some great behind-the-scenes photos of the SD facebook page of his exhibition at the Object Gallery as well as the other great pieces for the event. His exhibition at the Gallery is on display until 25th September 2011.

Benja Harney's blog: Paperform

On another note, Spring is here! ^^ (Something which Thief of Sleep isn't too excited about!)

No comments:

Post a Comment