Monday, June 20, 2011

lemon meringue tarts and cinnamon cookies ^^

Did some cooking over the weekend!

First I tried to make lemon meringue tarts, I cheated a bit here and used pastry tart cases I already bought. They were popped into the oven for about 10 minutes and then I filled them with a lemon curd. I whipped up a meringue to put on top.


This is the lemon curd I received from the preserves cooking class I attended. It should be used within a month or so!


The meringue was two egg whites and almost 100g caster sugar. I had a meringue recipe which was 2 egg whites and 100g sugar and then a lemon meringue recipe which was two egg whites and 1 teaspoon of sugar, but since I measured it out already I ended up using more sugar. hough I've been informed that the higher sugar content would be for the hard meringues, besides, the lemon would probably give off some flavour anyway!

meringue in the used tart cases
When I baked the meringue by itself, they expanded like a souffle but lost their air quite quickly.

Lemon curd recipe from Taste.com.au

~~~

I also made some soft biscuits called Snickerdoodles, which according to my book Cookies Galore (Bellefontaine, J.) are "a soft traditional cookie, with a funny name, originating from 19th-century New England."

before being baked


I ended up using the recipe from BBC (Australian) Good Food (August 2010 issue) instead because it used 100g of butter which was easier to separate from the block!

Snickerdoodles:


100 grams unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 cups (150g)  caster sugar 
1 egg
1 1/2 cups (225g) plain flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Coating:
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven: 200 degrees celcius or 180 degrees celcius fan
  1. Beat the flour and sugar together till light and fluffy
  2. Beat in the egg
  3. Sift in the flour, salt, baking powder and mix well
  4. Roll dough into walnut sized balls and coat in the cinnamon/sugar mix, also flatten them slightly
  5. Bake 8-10 minutes till firm, cool for 5 minutes on the tray


Might have rolled them a bit too big, as it said 'walnut-sized' but they still taste nice! It's suppposed to make around 30 though I probably made around 20!

No comments:

Post a Comment